Monday, March 15, 2010

The Perfect Storm: How I Came to Attend the Google Teacher Academy for Administrators

I flew from Oakland to San Antonio, with a connection in Houston on March 4, knowing that I was in for the best professional development of my life.


Less than two months ago, Keith Pickering-Walters, Video Production educator extraordinaire, walked into my office and asked if I had seen that Google was holding a Workshop for Educators in Merced, CA on January 19, 2010.  I was instantly excited and wanted it....now.... I asked our Principal if he thought I could go and he was graciously willing to support me and my excitement, if for no other reason, but because in these budgetary times, it is of the utmost importance for us to find ways we can use the resources that are already accessible to us, more widely used.


I didn't expect that I would completely get my geek on while in Merced, and yet I did. Kyle Brumbaugh was the lead learner and his energy and passion was infectious. I kept up with his presentation while I watched how everyone interacted with just a brief glimpse of the plethora of Google Apps for Education. I wanted more.


Kyle had mentioned that there was going to be a Google Teacher Academy for Administrators in March and that the applications were due exactly one week from that day. I was familiar with this piece of information, but I had initially decided I would wait until the academy was held in Mountain View again. By attending the Workshop, I knew I couldn't wait.


One week, one application, one video and one due date later, I had finished and submitted.


Then I waited one week, 3 days and 16 hours until I got the almighty acceptance e-mail.
March 4, 2010, I'm sitting on a Southwest flight, trying to keep myself distracted as I waited in Houston for the emergency hatch to be fixed.

I was so close. I was excited about every aspect of this trip. The anticipation of what was to come, and the untapped potential that I knew would be extracted.

No comments:

Post a Comment