Friday, April 12, 2013

Project Your Android Tablet in a Browser


Not all tablets and computers are created equal. And they don't always play nicely with each other. As an educator, this can be infuriating. I'm trying to teach our kids and their teachers, and I'm constantly running into blockades that prevent me from being able to seamlessly present cross-platform products. I just want to teach and for my students to learn.
Thankfully, I was able to find a way to integrate my multi-platform system to present both my Android-running Sony Xperia tablet AND my other (shall remain nameless) tablet...simultaneously. My laptop does not have an HDMI port, so using an HDMI cable was not doable. However, by downloading the app, VMLite VNC Server, I was able to easily reflect my Sony Xperia screen directly into a tab on my browser (note: the browser must be HTML5), with nothing more than a USB cable to connect to the computer itself.
Step One: Download the app onto your Android tablet
Step Two: Go to http://www.vmlite.com/vaac to download the free program onto your computer or laptop that you would like to project from and follow the instructions provided
Step Three: Connect your tablet to your computer
Step Four: Open the VMLite program on your computer
Step Five: Follow the instructions on the pop-up window to set particular preferences and connect your tablet
Step Six: Open the app on your tablet, click Start and follow the remainder of the instructions on your computer
A new tab will open in your browser that you can reference, keep open and project when you want. I also like to have my other tablet wirelessly projecting using another product at the same time. They really can all play together nicely.
Please see my screencast for step-by-step instructions on how to create this same experience for you and your students.


  • This post was cross-posted from the resource-building that I do with Sony, Inc., located at http://www.educationambassador.com - please visit there for more information and great suggestions from other ambassadors across the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment